For some reason, every week feels exponentially closer to race day lately. 16 weeks to go for now. I know it will be here before I know it. Things still seem to be progressing. Last week, I conquered my new distance PR on the bike: 93 miles. It took a whopping 6 hours, and I packed in 3,297 ft of elevation gain. Every bit of that is going to help me I know, I just have to keep it up. I’m searching out more and bigger hills this week, and also hoping to add in wearing a heart rate monitor that can help me understand pacing on those hills. If you have any feedback about using a heart rate monitor while training, I’d love to hear them in the comments. I’m a newbie when it comes to that, because I’ve always been so anti-gear. Now, I’m more pro-understanding-what-in-the-heck-I’m-doing-to-give-me-the-best-shot-at-finishing-strong. So I guess people do change.
Well, let’s get into it. Here’s the plan for Week 33:
- Monday :: REST / yoga
- Tuesday :: Interval Swim :: Fingers crossed I can actually swim this week!
- Wednesday :: Interval Bike :: 80 min w/ climbs + strength training
- Thursday :: Open Water Swim :: 2400m :: 3 x 400m
- Friday :: Race Pace Run :: 10km, including 3 x 2km efforts at RP
- Saturday :: Race Pace Bike :: 130km, including 3 x 25km efforts at RP
- Sunday :: Aerobic Run :: 25km
Last week’s recap:
- Monday :: REST / yoga :: I again focused on nutrition and some light yoga this week. Still an active recovery day, but I also took some much needed R&R.
- Tuesday :: Interval Swim SUBSTITUTE :: 45 minutes of anaerobic work, HIIT training, yoga, and a little extra core work today
- Wednesday :: Interval Bike :: 80 min w/ climbs + strength training :: Intervals seemed to come a little better this week for me, maybe because I have been focusing on fueling better. Still, those 5 minutes seem sooooo long! Overall, kept my sprint intervals around 20mph, which in top gear I am more than happy with. I’d like to start playing around with my heart rate monitor, thinking it could give me some additional data that may be useful while training. Do you use a HR monitor? What do you most like about training with it? What is your approach? Let me know in the comments below!
- Thursday :: Interval Run :: 10km :: 8x1km @ PE 8-9 :: The rest between intervals here is decreasing, down to 45s this week. I was nervous about that, but feeling strong actually. I’ll take that!
- Friday :: Open Water Swim SUBSTITUTE :: Arm flexibility and strength focused work today including strength and yoga.
- Saturday :: Aerobic Bike + Run :: 150km bike :: This was my longest ride to date – 93 miles! I’ve been trying to add in as many hills as possible lately, but today really did just focus on the distance first. Pace was faster than anticipated, 15.1mph, but a 18 mile stretch was pretty flat. I’ll find some big hills for training this week, since my miles go back down a little. I thought I was going to hit a wall during this week’s ride, but it was fuel to the rescue. I need to get better at fueling WHILE riding, and not having to stop. If you have suggestions, I’d love to hear them!
- Sunday :: Race Pace Run :: 16km :: 3x3km @ R.P :: Today’s run was tough after my 93-miler yesterday, but I did it. Came in just under my bottom end of my target pacing. For the marathon portion of my Ironman, I am striving to average between 8:49/9:09 minute per mile pace. Today, I came in at 9:04, so that works I guess! Again, I need some more hill work, so I’m hoping that maybe my heart rate monitor will be able to help me with pacing on hills. We’ll see!
Total weekly miles | Run: 16.33mi | Cycle: 127mi
Get fired up! What are your goals and plans for the week?