You know that feeling when you are just so happy to be done with a week? That’s my life right now. Last week was wicked challenging, but we made it through. I’m looking forward to a nice recovery day today because Lord knows I need it. This week is a recovery week, leading up to a solid brick workout on Sunday. This means a lot of swim time, slower run and bike sessions before ramping up this weekend a little. My focus is mentally. I feel like recovery sessions put a lot of stress on me mentally, but I will mix them up to bring a little more fun into them to hopefully help. Do you have a recovery week strategy? Let me know!
Alright, here’s what we’re looking at for Week 36:
- Monday :: REST / yoga
- Tuesday :: Interval Swim :: 2400m
- Wednesday :: Recovery Bike :: 50min
- Thursday :: Open Water Swim :: 2400m :: 8 x 200m hard swims
- Friday :: Recovery Run :: 5km @ PE 6
- Saturday :: Open Water Swim :: 2000m @ RP + 10km run @ RP
- Sunday :: Brick :: 130km :: Bike 120km + Run 10km
Last week’s recap:
- Monday :: REST / yoga :: I tried and liked this yoga video today.
- Tuesday :: Interval Swim :: 3000m :: Today’s swim was continuous, in open water, but I picked up the pace between certain buoys to get my heart rate up (which is a main goal of interval days). My main focus was simply doing the entire distance, which I’ve worked up to over the past 2 weeks since swimming again.
- Wednesday :: Interval Bike :: 80 min :: 5x [10min aero @ PE7-8 + 2min @PE5] :: I like the aero bar intervals better than the big gear intervals 🙂 Still working on increasing my cadence, but overall I think today went well. I am feeling more confident on the bike, so I’m super happy about that.
- Thursday :: Open Water Swim :: 2200m :: in group if possible :: No swim today. The storms on the East coast gave us some crazy winds, and there was a Beach Advisory – no swimming in the places I go. Soooo, back to my swimming substitutions for today. Bummer.
- Friday :: Interval Run :: 10km w/ 8x 1km @ PE 8-9, 45s rest :: I changed today’s workout a bit. Instead of a complete rest interval, I alternated 1km @ PE 8-9 with 1km @ race pace for the entire 10km. I thought this was good practice at keeping race pace while fatigued. I may mix in these workouts a bit more.
- Saturday :: Race Pace Bike :: 120-130km, w/ 3x25km R.P. efforts :: Today kicked my ass. There’s no other way of putting it. I only made it 70 miles (the goal was 75-80) but the elevation I conquered made me feel much better about the day. 3,280 feet of elevation was a challenge to put it nicely. I still feel that today! Wowza.
- Sunday :: Aerobic Run :: 25km :: I was nervous about Sunday’s run following the killer day of a bike ride on Saturday, so I was conservative with pacing to start especially, but was pleasantly surprised with how I finished. I kept my target race pace (even if it was on the lower end of my goal range) and am feeling better about my running nutrition, too.
Total weekly miles | Run: 21.7mi | Cycle: 92mi | Swim: 3000m
Get fired up! What are your goals and plans for the week? Drop them in the comments below!