This is such a mixed-feelings sort of week. I just learned that (unsurprisingly) my race is cancelled due to Covid, directly following finishing my self-supported half-Ironman. Also, according to my training calendar, I am only two months from that (cancelled) Ironman. So I have lost some motivation, simply because I haven’t decided if I’m going to wait and continue training for another year or just go self-supported for the full Iron distance. I’ve been training for so long for this day, and I’m not sure if I can just not do it when Sept. 13 rolls around. So for now, I’m still training, but it feels …. weird.
With that said, last week was a good week of training. Other than the heat, which definitely took a toll on my body (especially during my half Iron), I felt good overall. The miles are building, and I think my body is responding. That is super encouraging. I do still feel like some of my paces have actually gotten slower, which is hard to wrap my head around. I don’t know what to think about that, but I’m just focusing on my perceived effort to make sure that I’m not over-(or under-)doing it. I’m hoping to have some clarity on what I want to do about race day by the end of the week.
So for now, let’s get into this week’s training (week 41 of 48):
- Monday :: REST / yoga
- Tuesday :: Interval Swim :: 1800m
- Wednesday :: Strength work + Interval Bike :: 90 min + 2 mile easy run
- Thursday :: Open Water Swim :: 3200m
- Friday :: Race pace run :: 8km
- Saturday :: Race pace bike :: 40km
- Sunday :: Aerobic Run :: 32-34 km
Last week’s recap:
- Monday :: REST / yoga :: yay rest. I’ve been extra fatigued, so I do look forward to my rest days lately 🙂
- Tuesday :: Interval Swim :: 1800m :: Actually ended up not swimming today. My body felt like it needed another day of rest.
- Wednesday :: Strength work + Recovery Bike :: 60 min + 2 mile easy run :: Nice, easy ride for me today, and the runs to follow have been getting easier and more comfortable. That transition isn’t the easiest for me, so I’m working on it.
- Thursday :: Open Water Swim :: 1500m :: Great swim today – got it in just in time for the storms to hit.
- Friday :: REST / yoga :: rest felt oh so good this week, especially knowing that I have a race this weekend!
SaturdaySunday:: Race Pace Run :: 6km :: I swapped Saturday and Sunday’s workouts because of my work schedule this week, so today’s workout was actually the day following my Half-Iron. My legs definitely felt it, but pacing was manageable and I recovered well. I’ll take that! SundaySaturday :: Half-Ironman Distance Triathlon :: 1900m Swim + 90km Bike + 21km Run :: I was pleased that the nerves weren’t there like they were before my first half-iron in Maine (2018). I felt ready. I felt strong. You can read my full race recap here, but overall, I am happy with how my body handled everything, although I do hope to not battle this much heat again for any long day!
Total weekly miles | Run: 18.75mi | Cycle: 71mi | Swim: 4000m
Get fired up! What are your goals and plans for the week? Drop them in the comments below!