I can’t believe how close this “race” is. I have decided to go ahead and complete the Full Iron Distance as a self-supported, individual event. I considered so many things as I really thought about this. There is still so much uncertainty in the world, and I don’t know how comfortable I’d be in a gym setting all winter training, if I decided to postpone. I also don’t have certainty at this point if the Spring races will happen. The races that I could potentially defer to aren’t great travel options, if I’m being honest. That leaves me with Madison, WI 2021, but again, I just feel like I would lose too much momentum through the winter. The whole goal of this was to do the distance. It makes it no less real to get a medal or to have an “official time” in my opinion. So I am sticking to the plan.
And here is my plan for this week’s training (week 42 of 48):
- Monday :: REST / yoga
- Tuesday :: Time Trial Swim :: 2500m
- Wednesday :: Strength work + Interval Bike :: 80km + 2 mile easy run
- Thursday :: Open Water Swim :: 2500m
- Friday :: Recovery bike :: 60 min
- Saturday :: Open Water Swim :: 3000m + Recovery Run :: 4km
- Sunday :: Brick :: 60km bike + 20km run
Last week’s recap:
- Monday :: REST / yoga :: I absolutely love my rest days right now especially 🙂 Yoga, an extra recovery smoothie, and gardening seems to be such great medicine. Oh, and foam rolling, of course.
- Tuesday :: Interval Swim :: 1800m :: I had a stomach bug this week, and did not swim.
- Wednesday :: Strength work + Interval Bike :: 90 min + 2 mile easy run :: Stomach bug still strong, so I did an easy bike for 90 minutes, but no strength work and no run.
- Thursday :: Open Water Swim :: 3200m :: Still wasn’t feeling like I should be working out. No swim today.
- Friday :: Race pace run :: 8km :: Finally back at it! I didn’t feel normal, but I felt better, and my legs felt appreciative to be running! Race pace intervals went well, and I made it through today’s workout!
- Saturday :: Race pace bike :: 40km :: Felt great on the bike today. I am still focusing on cadence, and trying to get that a bit quicker, so my overall pace was a bit slower, but I think that is okay for now. Still learning here!
- Sunday :: Aerobic Run :: 32-34 km :: I was nervous for today’s run. 21 miles is the furthest I’ve run since my full marathon in 2014. With my stomach bug this week, I was a little unsure how I’d feel. It was a struggle, to say the least, but I think just because of not being at 100%. I still finished, at a nice easy pace, and was really pleased that I recovered so well following. The day after I felt basically normal! This was a huge mental win for me.
Total weekly miles | Run: 26mi | Cycle: 50mi | Swim: 0m
Get fired up! What are your goals and plans for the week? Drop them in the comments below!